Recyclers Of The Urban Forest
We need trees in order to survive:
- Trees supply the oxygen in the air we need to breathe.
- Trees keep our air supply fresh by absorbing carbon dioxide.
- Trees lower air temperatures by evaporating water in their leaves.
- Trees cut down noise pollution by acting as sound barriers.
- Trees provide shade and shelter, reducing yearly heating and cooling costs by 2.1 billion dollars.
- Tree roots stabilize the soil and prevent erosion.
- Trees provide food and shelter for wildlife.
Plant a tree today for the future.
- Choose a tree that won’t grow too big for the spot and that has never been “headed” in the nursery.
- Place the crown 1 ½” above soil level, add mulch 4” deep and 2” away from the trunk and spread whie latex paint on trunk to avoid sun scalding.
- Apply water each week to soak the ground during dry spells. Stake the tree no longer than a year. Conduct proper pruning and weed control with no line trimmers.
Elwood’s offers ornamental tree and shrub planting, recommendations for selecting the right tree for the right place and soil aeration.